Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Yaroslavl, Russia

I have a brand new passport with plenty of pages and a Russian visa! Trip dates are May 21-June 12.

Yaroslavl, Russia,(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaroslavl) is about 150 miles northeast of Moscow so we land there. It is one of the cities on the Golden Ring, full of architecture and icons. And 11 orphanages, homes for the handicapped, and street children. We work in all of them. Lots to see and experience.

I am traveling with Cross Cultural Solutions again. I like their method of housing us all in a volunteer home base together so we can share experiences in the evenings and find travel companions for the weekends. The food and water are safe and if you run of shampoo, someone brought extra.

The weather should be in the low 60's, but the sun is up from 4am to 10pm!

Prereading has been heavy! Russians never write small books. Anna Karenina I split between audio CD and book form and finished it! I am looking for a good movie of War and Peace. I read The Last Station, a novel of Tolstoy and From Nyet to Da about Russian business culture and Natasha's Dance about the influence of history on culture. The Russian Orthodox church is another vast subject all together, and I am looking forward to seeing icons.

So welcome to the journey!

2 comments:

  1. Why a new passport? Lost or expired? What--Dr. Zhivago isn't enough of Russian lit and history?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I filled up in the last one - pages well spent! I did watch Dr Z - and lots of History channel on the Romanov's. Now for the Cyrillic alphabet....

    ReplyDelete