Tuesday, May 31, 2011

On Friday we get a new opportunity

There is a high school in town of kids who probably won't go to university because of economic hardship and we are going to talk to 16-17 year olds in English (!). Basically they just want to know about Americans and get a chance to use their English with a Real Person so the topic is wide open. I brought pictures of the family, seasons, pets, parts of the US, so I am prepared to speak on anything. Even the gospel for June 26 which is my next time to preach. Let's see if I can work that into the conversation.

I located the technology Russians diverted from instruments of war – high powered, super sized mosquitoes.

I am getting pretty adept at the Cyrillic alphabet which only looks like something I might remember from Seminary Greek. I can read Salon and Automaster and Supermarket in Russian! Those should come up in crossword puzzles more often.

Tomorrow is International Children’s Day – although looking on the internet every country seems to think it is a different date and no two countries agree so I guess it is Russia’s celebration of the international event. Anyway we made cut out people shapes to put around one of the least recognizable maps of the world ever created. By me. Its one virtue was tissue paper waves on all the oceans. By the time the figures were added, however, it rivaled a UN poster!

And I lost my 401st consecutive game of Chinese checkers.

Happy International Children's Day whenever you celebrate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment